Last week, I bought falafel balls and they were bad. Yukkes! And then I remembered I have a lovely chickpea burger recipe. So here Im sharing my recipe for chickpea burgers. You can keep the mix in an airtight container in the fridge for a couple of days.
For the burgers
- 1 can chickpeas
- 4 bread buns
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons oats
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon curcuma
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- sea salt & fresh black pepper to taste
For the tahini sauce
- 3 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Open, drain, and rinse the chickpeas.
- Whizz the oats in the foodprocessor and mix until you have oat flour. Put the flour in a bowl.
- Add half of the chickpeas to the food processor and process for 1 minute. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl, then add remaining chickpeas and all the other ingredients and whizz until you have a mix. If too thick, add 1 other tablespoon of water.
- Put chickpea mix in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Make for burgers
- Heat oil in a frying pan until hot. Fry the burgers for 4 mins each side, keeping the heat on medium so they don’t burn. Or bake the burgers in a pre heated oven for 25 minutes.
- To serve, slice each bun and fill with a slice of tomato, a burger, some cucumber slices, a dollop of tahini sauce.
- Whizz all the ingredients in a food processor until you have a good consistency.