An apple crumble
made healthier by yours truly.
For the base layer, we don’t use crumbled cookies but store-bought healthy cruesli.We save on sugar and add more nutrients.
We use #Kerrygold butter, full of healthy fat, minerals and vitamins. We use a mix of oat and regular flour. We reduce the amount of sugar by using jam or applesauce. By adding nut you get even more crunch and flavor.
Within less than an hour you have a delicious apple crumble which you can eat as breakfast and dessert!
For the crust/base
- 150 g cruesli (store-bought)
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
For the filling
- 1 apple
- 2 tablespoons of jam or applesauce
- 3 tablespoons oats
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 40 g butter (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoon s raw granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons of nuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
To make the base?
- Melt the butter.
- Mix the cruesli in a food processor for 10 seconds. Add the melted butter.
- Press the cruesli/butter mix into a skillet, spreading the mixture in an even layer to the corners. Chill in the fridge while making the filling.
To make the filling?
- Mix oats in food processor or blender until you have oat flour
- Put the oat flour, the flour, butter and sugar and mix with your hands until you have a crumbled mix. Set aside.
- Wash apples, dont peel them. Slice them.
- Spread the jam or apple sauce over cruesli layer.
- Put a layer of apple slices on top of the cruesli layer.
- Pour the crumb mix over the apples, use a fork to even out.
- Put skillet in the oven and bake for 25 minutes in a preheated oven (180°C).
- Meanwhile mix 2 tablespoons of nut and mix coarsely mix in food processor.
- Take the skillet out of the oven, pour the nut mix and cinnamon over the crumble and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes.
Until next time, Love,