Fall is here, its getting cold so …. time for comfort food, so everything with tomato sauce baked in the oven, is a good idea. #Ilovetomatosauce
My favorite tomato sauce is a full-flavored tomato sauce enhanced with fresh fennel and carrots. It’s easy to make. I cook the sauce on a stove and finish it in the oven, this brings out even more flavor. The sauce is great served with pasta, lentils, white beans and veggie balls.
2 tablespoons of olive oil – 2 cans of tomatoes – 1 fennel, fronds removed, bulb cored and cut into pieces – 2 carrots, peeled & cut – 1 onion, peeled and cut – 2 cloves garlic, peeled and cut – 1 tablespoon tomato paste – 1 vegetable stock cube – 1 teaspoon thyme – 1 teaspoon oregano – salt & pepper to taste – fresh basil to season
- Heat olive oil in a cooking pot over medium-high heat until hot. Add fennel, carrots, onion and garlic. Cook 10 minutes. Stir regularly.
- Add undrained tomatoes, vegetable stock cube, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes to blend flavors and thicken sauce.
- Preheat the oven approx. 200°C / 400 F
- Optional : blend the sauce in blender or mixer, if you want a smooth sauce.
- Place sauce in a skillet, add whatever you like beans (precooked!!!), (veggie) balls, lentils and bake for another 20 minutes. Or serve the hot sauce over your favorite pasta. When ready, season with fresh green herbs like basil and scallions.
- I sometimes add some avocado, just because I love avocado and it pairs well with the hot sauce. It adds some creaminess.
- Get inspired & enjoy!